banact.gif (5205 bytes)

PICTORIAL ALBUM

50th ANNIVERSARY OF THE
RAMAKRISHNA - VIVEKANANDA
CENTER OF NEW YORK

Services & Classes stop.gif (845 bytes) Calendar stop.gif (845 bytes) Spiritual Leader
Founder
stop.gif (845 bytes) Ramakrishna Order stop.gif (845 bytes) Pictorial Album stop.gif (845 bytes) Sculptures

The Ramakrishna-Vivekananda Center of New York was founded in 1933 by Swami Nikhilananda and in 1939 moved to its present site in New York City’s distinguished "Carnegie Hill Historic District". In 1952 the Chapel was renovated and a balcony was added, to accommodate the Center’s growing congregation.

The Center observed its 50th Anniversary in 1983 with several Special Services. Participating in these services were Swamis of the Ramakrishna Order, eminent spiritual leaders of New York, academicians and the Consul General of India. In an article about this celebration published by The New York Times, the religion editor wrote: "Swamis and scholars yesterday hailed a Hindu society that has brought the insights and practices of the Indian religion to the East Side of Manhattan for a half century....Those teachings have made an increasing impact on Americans in the last two decades as more people turn to the East for religious guidance and instruction." (The New York Times, April 25, 1983).

Ramakrishna-Vivekananda
Center of New York

 

Ramakrishna-Vivekananda Center of New York
(night time)

 

1983 50th anniversary service.JPG (22211 bytes)
Special Service at the Center

 

1983 50th anniversary service congregation.JPG (20410 bytes)

A View of the Congregation

 

1983 50th anniversary ny times.JPG (33276 bytes)

New York Times Article

< PREVIOUS || NEXT >